- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
- 1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
- In 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, heat 10 tablespoons butter until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and transfer browned butter to the heat-proof bowl of a stand mixer. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter to melt; set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- While butter is cooling, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
- Add 1 3/4 cups brown sugar and salt to bowl with cooled butter; attach paddle and mix on medium-low speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg, yolk, almond extract and vanilla and mix on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Roll into a 1 round balls. Place on a silpat lined cookie sheet. Flatten cookie slightly with palm of hand or bottom of a drinking glass.
- Bake one sheet at a time until cookies are browned and still puffy and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone); 12 to 14 minutes.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes then using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.
- If desired frost cooled cookies. I used this frosting and loved it!
Recipe Source: Adapted from Sweet Pea's Kitchen
these sound so unhealthy...but who cares because they sound SO DELICIOUS! ;)ReplyDelete
I've never tried brown sugar cookies?? I don't know why.... but it must be time that I do, those look delicious!ReplyDelete
Ohh, these look yummy! And I love the little pumpkin design you made on top!ReplyDelete
Delicious! Are there any left over for me?ReplyDelete
These look and sound fantastic.ReplyDelete
Thanks so much for sharing.
Mmm... brown butter and brown sugar? DELICIOUS.ReplyDelete
These are beautiful!! They look so chewy and yummy too. I'm definitely making these over the weekend!!ReplyDelete
Hmmm, somehow I get the feeling that you like cookies and all things cookie related. Could I be correct in this far fetched assumption? :-PReplyDelete
These look fantastic! I've been wanting to make cookies....
Brown butter in baked goods is unreal! I love cookies with crinkly tops. <3ReplyDelete