Honey Sweetened Applesauce
2 lbs apples cored, peeled, and chopped
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup water or apple juice
- Mix apples with honey and place in saucepan. Over medium heat, bring apples to a boil. Maintaining a medium temperature will allow the apples to release their juices but if there is any concern about scorching or burning, add water or apple cider 1/4 cup at a time as needed.
- Allow the apples to boil, stirring often, until soft, usually 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once the apples are soft, taste for sweetness. Add additional honey and/or spices if using.
- Boil another five minutes or so to blend the flavors. Do not overcook or the honey will begin to turn the sauce very brown and possibly scorch.
- Remove the pot from the heat. If canning the sauce, use a hot pack method and a hot water bath. If the applesauce is to be frozen, allow the sauce to cool completely before storing in airtight containers.